Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Virtual Worlds...

Does anyone else think of The Sims while reading the articles for this week? I remember playing that computer game when I was growing up, and I loved it! Although, after a while, it did get pretty monotonous and didn't leave much to the imagination, similar to a video game...After a while, we get bored! Anyways, The article, "7 Things You Should Know About Virtual Worlds" was an interesting read for me because I remember,while getting my undergrad at CMU, seeing and hearing from students that had to go to the Woldt computer lab and play with their "avatars" and do this "city" thing. Now, it all makes sense to me! They were using these programs, specifically Second Life for educational purposes. After reading this article, I am intrigued on how this really would work in a high school classroom, especially in my Spanish classroom. Could I change the language? It would be awesome for them to have to maintain every week something in their Second Life world in the target language! I do see the issues discussed in the article, especially the goofing off. I know also that our server would not support a program such as Second Life, as we already have server/internet issues. This is just another idea to look into to implement into the classroom if possible. One thing that crosses my mind after just doing my group blog on attention span and technology....is this promoting that? Just a thought....


“7 Things You Should Know About Virtual Worlds." Educause Learning Inititave. (June 2006)  Web.  Retrieved 19 June 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment