Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chapter 1, Richardson Text

I want to go out and buy copies of this text and share it with the educators at my school already! Richardson hit so many chords with me while I read.While I feel like I am fortunate to be a "younger" teacher in this "new age" of education, there is still a lot for me to learn and stay up on. It is truly amazing how far the internet has come, and what we can do with it, especially in the classroom. I love how Richardson says, "No matter how you look at it, we are creating what author Douglas Rushkoff calls a 'society of authorship' where every teacher and every student--every person with access--will have the ability to contribute ideas and experiences to a larder body of knowledge that is the Internet" (5). Our students are screaming out for ownership and to show their "skills"- skills that most have with technology and the internet- so why are teachers depriving them of that? Of course, we have to be safe, like he says and make sure our students are using and not abusing, but we have to let them try and give them that freedom to post on a classroom website and to share with their fellow classmates. It is a GREAT feeling! They do it all the time with Facebook and Twitter, so why not let it carry over! I use Twitter with my students and just love it. I have a website and try to use as much technology in my classroom as possible. I hope to share what Richardson has to say with my co-workers and get them on board!

Richardson, Will. Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment